Saturday, January 13, 2007

Some updates - Term 1 Week 2

Dear all,

Here are some updates and information for the week.

Discipline
I have realized that some of the children are still in transition mode as they do not take instructions well, run around in class and talk when the teacher is talking. This happens not only in the classroom but in the hall as well! Of course, I understand that they are still young and have lots to learn and that is precisely the point that we should start them off on the right path when they are still at an impressionable age. I hope to get parents' support when I assert a certain amount of strictness whenever the children get out of hand. I would appreciate any form of advice from parents as to how discipline can be maintained in 1 Courage.

Fruity Friday
In KCPPS, a timeslot on Fridays is set aside for eating fruits. I have decided to have this fruit eating session after the children's gym lesson. This session is to promote healthy eating. Please ensure your child brings a slice of fruit or some cut fruits on Fridays - apples, bananas, cut melon slices and grapes [preferably seedless] are encouraged. Refrain from packing bulky, 'messy' or 'seedy' fruits such as rambutans and lychees. Remember to bring your fruits!

JOURNAL
I've collected one jotter book from the children for Journal Writing. This journal is an outlet for the children to write/draw anything that they wish, to me. I will pen down my responses to them through their journals too. In this way, I will be able to know them better, and vice versa. It is also a good way to get children interested in writing and expressing themselves. I've given the children the topic, 'Myself' to get them started for their 1st entry. They do not have to write alot, just 2 -3 sentences will be good enough for a start. I will give out their journals every Friday and hope to get an entry every Monday. =)

SPELLING
Spelling will commence on 31st Jan, Wed [1.00pm- 1.30pm] as shown on the list and subsequent spellings on the following Wednesdays. For a start, only 5 words will be tested but the list will increase to 10 words as the children get accustomed to spellings. Please help me reiterate to your child that they are not allowed to refer to their spelling lists or copy from their friends during Spelling. Click
here for the spelling list or refer to the side bar on the right of this blog.

MENTAL SUMS

Mental Sums will commence on 18th Jan Thur [4.30pm - 5.00pm] and will be a weekly affair. Mental sums will go like this. The teacher reads out a question [according to topic taught in class] and children will write down the answer in their book. A total of 5-10 short questions will be tested.[depending on topic] After each Mental Sums exercise, I will be pasting the questions onto their exercise books so that parents will be aware of the questions tested. Like Spelling, pupils are not allowed to discuss or copy their friend's answers.


PHOTOTAKING
The children will be having phototaking on 18th Jan [Thursday]. This is for their Student SMRT Card. Please ensure your child is neatly attired in their uniform on that day. I hope there will not be absentees on that day as far as possible!!! =)


Enjoy your weekend and God bless!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, feel free to discpline - it's an important value in life. It might help to give the children some "talking time", so that they have some outlet.It might also help them to understand that there's a time for everything, and to practise the difference between talking & quiet time. But it might be hard to reign them in after giving them talking time :-)
You can try and see what happens....
Are the math topics according to the textbooks, chronologically? Thanks.

Miss April Chew said...

Yes. We will teach the topics in Mathematics according to the order in which it is presented in the 'My Pals are Here' textbook.

Take note that for English, we will do Unit 4, 'Caring and Sharing' first, then back to Unit 3,'Colours, Shapes & Sizes'. This is so that 'Colours, Shapes & Sizes' for English will tie in together with the Maths topic of 'Shapes and Patterns'(Unit 5). =)

Anonymous said...

Hi Miss April,
discipline is important but not to a point in which the child will have a negative feeling when going to school.You have to show care but in a stern manner so that the child will be able to listen thus respecting you for whom you are.Hopefully we can work hand in hand for the first year of their education life.:-)..Aniq's Dad. Thanks.

Miss April Chew said...

Thank you for your advice. I will take note to show care and concern for the children but at the same time be firm with them. Feel free to provide me with insights on how your child is coping in class. =)